Monday 30 May 2011

Goodbye Heraklion~! Hello Athens~!

I went to Knossos opn Saturday which was very cool...but also made me very angry because Sir Arthur evans reconstructed it...out of concrete. And with no archaeological evidence. *sigh*. It was quite poorly done...he also "repaired" some frescoes and by that they actually mean completely changed the entire concept. Apparently the supposed prince of lilies was supposed to have 3 people on it, but he decided that there was 1 and added his own cultural interpretations--which are largely unsupported...but otherwise if I took down the reconstructed bits that were very obvious it was cool!
 
Then on Sunday I met a Canadian person who was going to Malia Palace, but I decided to go to the beach. And find a camera charger because I left mine at home. I decided that I should have gone then because a) Malia palace was closed today which was when I planned on going b) because I hit my head and that's very clearly an omen from Zeus or Apollo that I was being an idiot. but it was the first nice day out so it was good to be outside. So oh well.
 
Today I went to Malia, only to find out it was closed but I went to a nearby beach and didn't swim but I DID take pictures. Then I went and tried to get the best look at the archaeological site I could. It was actually pretty easy so yay! Who needs to pay money when you can be a super spy.
 
 
And now I am on an 8 hour boat to go to Athens! WOOHOO. Hopefully this time I won't sleep in. Although apparently they don't mind. waking up at 5:00 is difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment